History of the hotel
The Stadthotel located in the heart of Werther, near the Storck-house, church and market area, has been a hospitable place for more than 100 years. Founded in 1909 as an inn called Gasthof Wöhrmann, it was initially an "Utspann" for horses and coachmen, because the house at that time was located on the main road to Bielefeld. Today the Alte Bielefelder straße is a traffic-calmed zone.
The traditional restaurant with the neoclassical façade, which was finally managed by Renate and Harry Glock, was turned into a hotel in 1990/91 by Jochen Striethörster, the son of a dentist, who realised his dream of a design hotel with the help of the architect Heinrich-Martin Bruns. In 1996, it was given four-star status. Seven years later, a sale by public auction was enforced. In October 1997, a family experienced in gastronomy from Spenge das Haus took over the hotel, renamed it to Stadthotel Werther and managed it as a bed and breakfast hotel. From November 2003 to December 2007, the bistro vis-à-vis was operated on the ground floor of the hotel.
Since mid-October 2010, the 1,200 square meters large property has belonged to the Adrian family from Hagen. The Stadthotel Werther is a business division of Sedan Gaststätten Betriebs-GmbH. The gastronomic trio trio of Jacob, Abi and Thomas Adrian operates the popular Sedan restaurant as well as a successful catering service on the ground floor. The hotel was reopened at the beginning of February 2011. This newly renovated Hotel is now classified 3 stars and offers a total of eleven rooms, including nine double and two single rooms.
History of the city of Werther
The first authentic mention of the city dates back to year 1009 The St. James Church in the heart of Werther, which was directly located opposite the Stadthotel, originated from the 12th century and consists of a Romanesque tower and a Gothic nave. Werther initially developed slowly, which was, however, going to change in 1654 when Werther was given restricted trading rights. This resulted in a closed development and this can still be seen today from the houses in the old town near the Stadthotel Werther.
Another significant milestone in the history of Werther is the granting of the town charter by Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia in 1719. Due to the trade barriers the traders were allowed to settle in Werther and at the beginning of the 19th century, the economic life in Werther was no longer determined by the trade sector but by the craft of cigar makers and linen weavers. In 1901 the construction of a narrow-gauge railway to Bielefeld was ensured for further upswing. Since then traders from various backgrounds have settled in Werther.
Today Werther - also due to its central location in the heart of the Teutoburg Forest - is a popular destination for tourists who want to take advantage of the various activities available in the region.